2


Para conocer más acerca de mi trabajo e información actualizada de las clases entra a www.mariselarumberg.com

Para ver mi trabajo en persona acude al centro de arte Workhouse Arts Center en la ciudad de Lorton en Virginia. Para mayores informes entra a www.workhousearts.org

.

wh

Friday, March 7, 2014

A Miracle With Roses


No other flower represents Mexico better than the roses that Our Lady Guadalupe gave Juan Diego. 

The Miracle of Our Lady of Guadalupe is the center of Mexican Catholicism. In 1531 Virgin Mary appeared to Juan Diego, directing him to request a Church be built for her at the top of the arid and rocky Tepeyac hill.  The Bishop wanted proof of the encounter. 
"Here is the proof you should bring to the Bishop", she said.  The hill held thousands of roses which Juan Diego collected in his tunic. 
My quilt shows the moment he opened his tunic in front of the Bishop without noticing the miraculous image of The Virgin imprinted on it. 
  
Click Here to learn the complete story.




  I'm so excited because this quilt was accepted for the juried contest "Las Flores de Mexico" (The flowers of Mexico) at the 6th Expo Patchwork & Quilt Mexico 2014 in Mexico City.  Awards night is Friday the 21st  -I'll let you know how it goes. 



TECHNIQUE
Lots of Free Motion all over the quilt, without marking it at any moment. It's important to mention that even the words in blue are Free Motion, not an embroidery machine. I used ink to paint the details in the Virgin, the hands and the flowers.  Check out the pictures of how I made the flowers: Without a stencil I painted them in a Kona Solid fabric, then created the shapes and texture with Free Motion and outlined each one with black monofilament thread. 
                                   
 
It says  "Here is the sign you must bring to the Bishop"

2 comments:

  1. Hello Marisela,

    The roses beautiful, fantastic quilting. My guess is that you have done the tilma...

    Love from England,
    Muv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Thank you! Yes, that's exactly what it is. I can't post the pictures yet but I will do it here and in my Facebook page. Wish me luck, award night is March 21st in Mexico. I'm so excited I'll get to be there.

      Delete